This series of 3 webinars has been created to assist physicians in acquiring knowledge and learning new skills in the field of pain management, especially in the area of chronic non-cancer pain.
- Develop multi-modal approaches to complex chronic pain.
- Initiate & manage safe & effective opioid therapy.
- Prevent & address addiction to prescription opioids.
- Develop communication & collaboration practice skills to better manage opioid therapy for your chronic pain patients.
Webinar 1: Assessing Chronic Complex PainThe webinar is approximately 1.5 – 2 hours in length
- Differentiate diverse etiologies of complex chronic pain
- Recognize the complex illness experience of complex chronic pain
- Develop multi-modal approaches to manage complex chronic pain
Webinar 2: Prescribing Opioids in Chronic PainThe webinar is approximately 2.5 hours in length
- Define your professional responsibility to manage patients’ chronic pain
- Evaluate the effectiveness of opioid therapy for different chronic pain conditions
- Assess your patients’ risk of opioid overdose, misuse and addiction
- Initiate, monitor and manage opioid therapy for your chronic pain patients
Webinar 3: Addressing Opioid Challenges and AddictionThe webinar is approximately 2.5 hours in length
- Establish an Opioid Treatment Agreement, which allows for Urine Drug Screening, with your patients
- Prescribe opioids for special populations. (Patients on multiple medications, Elderly patients, Adolescent patients, Pregnant patients, Patients with co-morbid psychiatric disorders
- Collaborate with other healthcare professionals. (Physician colleagues for inherited or transferred patients, Referral consultants with Pain and Addiction expertise, Acute and urgent health care providers, Pharmacists)
- Recognize and manage opioid misuse and addiction in your patients
Participation in all three webinars is mandatory for course completion.
For more information visit the course website at: http://www.cpd.utoronto.ca/opioidprescribing/